Saturday, December 5, 2009

Simple Sixes Part 6 of 6 Reinforcing Responsibility

Simple Sixes Part 6 of 6 Reinforcing Responsibility
The most important step in creating success in a child's life is teaching them to take responsibility for their lives. We model and teach that the quality of life we are experiencing is a result of how we are responding to the EVENTS rather than the EVENTS themselves.
Jack Canfield writes about the formula E + R = O. Events plus response equals outcome. According to Canfield, what most adults and children do is when they do not get the outcome they want they blame the event. As parents and teachers we must guide them out of blaming and complaining and into taking responsibility. This is not easy for them and us!! This is not easy because we all have been conditioned to blame our neighbors, teachers, friends, bad luck, the car breaking, the weather and the economy. It is difficult to look at where the problem is -OURSELVES.
Here's an example of my blaming-- this happened when I was writing this piece for a workshop." Charlie (my dog) is bothering me to go out and I can not finish this section!" If I had taken full responsibility, I would have taken him for a long walk before I started. Then he would be sleeping and I could be typing away.
I highly recommend reading Jack Canfield's book The Success Principles as a guide.
If anyone has an example of Reinforcing Responsibility, please feel free to post it and be a follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment